Defending the virtues of liberty, free markets, and civilization... plus some commentary on the passing scene.

Freedom's Fidelity

Friday, March 24, 2006

Dean Comments

A week or so ago I came across a post from Dean Esmay where he links to a critical piece on Francis Fukuyama. Having been quite impressed with Fukuyama's famous book, "The End of History" I thought I would have a fair amount to say about the critical article, especially because I find the criticism entirely warranted. As it turns out, I do have a lot to say, I just haven't been able to get it organized, so it is probably going to be one of those many posts that stays in 'draft' status forever. Or maybe I'll finish it next week.

Anyway, Dean makes a simple, yet elegant observation that I did not want to fall by the wayside just because I can't get my thoughts on Fukuyama organized. Here it is:

Me? I keep looking at the fulminating reactionaries who claim that Iraq is a "mess" and a "debacle." Their evidence? An increasingly desperate fascist "insurgency" sets off bombs and murders innocent people.

Which leads me to conclude that the best way to get what you want out of those people is to set off bombs and murder innocent people.

In other words, if these people were in charge, terrorism would always be an excellent strategy for getting whatever you wanted out of them.

It's a good thing they're not in charge, isn't it?

Yes, it is.

Well, some of them are in charge of newspapers apparently, but that is survivable. ;-)

Site 



                                                                                                                                                                             Meter Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
 
 
Pauls234@sbcglobal.net